Monday, August 16, 2010

Same World different Country

Girls and clothes... that what this post is about.

My oldest brother that lives in my house went with his wife and 2 daughters to yerevan for the last 3 days for one thing... back to school shopping. Yep, they do it in armenia too. and its an even bigger deal.

I have to niece's, 7 and 9, and they were soooo excited to show me everything they got for their new start of school. it happens on September 1st. They showed me everything from the new underwear they got to every pen, marker, highlighter, and notebook they got. It was actually very exciting to see how excited they were about all of it. the youngest would light up anytime her mother would pull out a piece of clothing from the bag and it was her's, she would turn and smile from ear to ear, then ask me if it was beautiful. and of course it all was. by the way the majority of everything they got was pink.

and this wasnt just me in the room, then entire family stopped what they were doing and came to see the new clothes, it was a big deal. especially for mariam the 9 year old. They bought her what i would consider a prom dress. Every year when they start school the family throws a big party for them celebrating the start of the school year. Still not sure why only 1 girl got the dress, but maybe it was because she is the oldest. but it took me back when i made my mother take me to buy new clothes for school, me and my brothers made her buy some ridiculous stuff. It started with JNCO jeans, then went to nike and adidas everything, then A&F, Amer. Eagle, then in college i jumped to old navy and target, finally after college i had to buy grown up clothes at men's warehouse.

It was good to see the girls were excited to start school, as was the entire family. This showed me how armenian girls arent much different from american girls. They were soo excited about there new clothes, they are always getting dressed up just go to do the simplest of tasks like buy fruit, and everything they bought was pink, when getting ready we are always waiting on them... sounds about the same to me, and i think i may catch some flack for that last one. But hey, at least i got some socks out of the deal... even though they were made in Turkey haha

So i am going camping with my counterpart and 25 kids for the next 4 days, off in the woods. the kids were asked to bring supplies, i was slightly nervous when each one showed up at the pre-departure meeting with a half kilo of potatoes, abilly club and an axe. Sounds like good times to me. I also know that my counterpart is planning on some midnight war games with black masks and hoods, which also makes me slightly nervous. Given that i am supposed to watch after kids and keep them safe when i dont even speak the language, its ok though, yelling in any language gets your point across haha.

I think it will be fun and probably a long 4 days, but i am excited, and i should have some exciting stories for you when i return. Hopefully they dont involve either me accidentally axing a kid, a kid accidentally axing me, or me returning with 24 kids. Cross your fingers....

"Camping: The art of getting closer to nature while getting farther away from the nearest cold beverage, hot shower and flush toilet."

No comments:

Post a Comment