Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I do solemnly swear....

So today is the Peace Corps Armenia Swearing in service. Those of us that have been here for 10 weeks, and are still here, get to finally become PC Volunteers today. So in about an hour and a half, i will now be working as a representative of the US State Department. This is weird to think about since i left home about 11 weeks ago, quit my job, sold or gave away the majority of my possessions, left my friends, family, moved to a new country, learned a new language, lived with a host family, and lived off 3$ a day, only now to be officially a Peace Corps Volunteer. It has been a very difficult 10 weeks, and at times all i could think about was a cheezy gordita crunch from taco bell, but all the food wants aside, i am very happy to finally be in this position. I passed my 2 week teaching practicum, did well on my language proficiceny test (got a higher score than i needed), and showed the want and determination to be in this program for the next 2 years. So today is the day, that i swear to protect my country from all enemies, foreign and domestic, and commit to upholding the values stated by the Peace Corps, and will serve as am American in Armenia for 2 years. Wish me luck, hope i dont trip when i try and shake the hand of the madam ambassador...

1 comment:

  1. Technically speaking, although we operate under the supervision of the Secretary of State, we are not part of the State Department nor representatives thereof. There is debate over whether we should even be considered representatives of the the American government or not. I like to think that we're representatives of the American People, and not the American government. Anyway, congratulations, it's been great hanging in Fantan with you and I can't wait to drop by Sissian

    ReplyDelete