Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What I have learned since moving to Armenia: Part 1

Things I have learned in Armenia: Part 1

How to sheer sheep

How to bath and make tea with the same pot of hot water, simultaneously

How to brush, rinse, and wash my face in 4 oz of water

How to hide candy in any and all pockets discreetly so I don’t have to eat it when it is offered, which is every 4 minutes

How to make a potato in 3090948974 different ways that are edible

How to live off 3$ a day (still working on that one)

How to make it look like I have bathed, that one gets more fun after 6 days of no water

How to shower while standing in a bucket, and using a second bucket for washing, so I can conserve water and re-use it

How to some what effectively use a squat toilet

How to combat sweating by putting more clothes on….. odd theory

How to wear the same clothes for 4 days straight and still smell atleast moderately ok

How to protect my self from flies landing on my face during the night

How to protect my food from flies, that one is also a work in progress

How to navigate through cow, sheep, dog, and bird poo all at once while walking, day or night

How to use a squat toilet at 2am, in the rain, while I am sick, and feverish

How to go to the bathroom without having to leave my room at 2am, when its raining and I am sick, oh yeah, multiple methods

How to make Armenian coffee

How to become every kids best friend that is under the age of 16, just kick a soccer ball

How to say thank you 5 different ways in the same language

How to take away back pain, just whack yourself with stinging neddle plants

How to eat the same meal for 3 days, and always look excited about it

I learned that I don’t like eating goat heart and lung for breakfast, or at any meal for that matter

How to decapitate a goat, hang it by a tree, skin it, then eat it 4 hours later, i didn't actually do this, but was inadvertently a witness

That everything was actually invented in Armenia, whether you knew it or not, and every Armenian will tell you that

That my body can produce more sweat by sitting in a 90 minute marshutni (public, cramped, hot transport) ride that an entire 90 min soccer game in Florida during the summer heat

That hospitality for Armenians can happen at 7am or 11pm, you will always be invited in for coffee any day, any time, any weather condition

That Armenia is one of the most beautiful and interesting countries I have ever been too

This list will keep growing, part 2 will be here soon…


"Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken."

6 comments:

  1. haha Love it! you make five days dirty look good! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what do you mean somewhat effectively use a squat toilet? either you are effective or there is a disaster...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha Im crying laughing. I dont know how you guys do it! It makes me appreciate things like a toilet and shower a little more! Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, how to be family therapist/UFC ref to an Armenian household

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't lie Alex. I know it was you who decapitated the goat.

    ReplyDelete