Monday, June 21, 2010

Naked Ginger Sheep


So last week I had the honor of becoming a man. It felt good. It even smelled good. I think my voice even got deeper.

I was on the top porch of my house, which has an amazing view of a local mountain or Sarr. And yes I will slowly initiate Armenian Words for you to learn as you read. So, back to my becoming a man. Anyway, I was up there looking at the beautiful view (geghetsik teseran), speaking with my mother in the US on the phone, when my host father walks out, puts a giant tarp down in the middle of are little area between the barn and the house, and walked back in to the barn for a bit longer. I kept on with my conversation like nothing was going on. Little did I know what was about to happen. The hair on my chest was perked and ready to grow. So when I saw my host father walk out, he was dragging/wrestling/forcing a sheep into the courtyard, he then plopped it down on its side, and pulled out what, as far as I could tell, something that resembled the hands of Edward scissor hands. I then said to my mother, “Mom I need to go, my host dad is either about to sheer a sheep, or kill one, either way I gotta go…” she was quite puzzled, but we ended the chat.

I then went down, and as I was hoping my host father was about to sheer a white, long-coated, smelly sheep. I knew right away this was going to be fun. I then smiled at him and nodded in approval. He nodded back. From what I understand this was him approving my move toward him and the sheep, and about me become a village man. I knew I was in once I got the nod of approval from him. So he handed me his extra set of big-boy sheers, and we went to work. Its kind of like cutting grass with scissors. You take your time, cutting one section at a time, and you don’t cut too close to the skin, but you get close enough that you don’t waste all the good stuff.

As you sheer, you roll it back like carpet, keeping it one big piece. O ya, this is all while you pin the sheep down your knees. Not forcefully or in a mean manner, but just so he doesn’t squirm and he cut himself on the sheers. I was very slow when I started, and my host father was like a Super Sheerer. If this was in the Olympics, he would most definitely represent Armenia. So after the first one, I was high on life and ready to go. So he had me drag/wrestle/force it back to the pen, and said, grab the karmir one. (Karmir is red). So I grabbed the ginger sheep, and had a good time showing him that I wasn’t taking no as an answer. So we struggled together all the way back to our barber station, cleaned and ready next for our patron. We repeated this process 3 times the first night, and 3 times the next night. The ginger sheep was a feisty one, he did not enjoy his yearly haircut, and really gave us a struggle for the entire time. He had a little fire in him….HA!

Anyway, I felt like me helping with this aspect of village life really showed them I wasn’t just some American there living on their land. I wanted to help in some way, and I think the only way I will be able to is if I join in random events like this. They wont let me have any part in the housework, barn work, or cooking. Although I think I have convinced my host mother to let me milk the cow. I will keep you updated on that one.

The 2nd night, I invited some PCT’s (Peace Corps Trainees, that’s what they call us during training until we swear in as volunteers.) over to watch. Maggie, Katie, and Sam came over. My camera is broken, so thankfully Sam and Katie took photos of it, and as soon as I get those, they will be posted asap.

Things to get from this post:

1- Karmir = red

2- Sarr = mountain

3- Geghetsik Tesaran = beautiful view

4- There are such things as Ginger Sheep, and they are mean and feisty

5- I will soon be milking cows/goats,

So keep reading, I also have a great story of celebrating Founder’s Day in Fantan which we had just a bit ago. I hope you come back soon and keep reading my journey!

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."


1 comment:

  1. You just can't seem to stay away from the gingers now can you.

    ReplyDelete