Monday, March 1, 2010

It's Official!

It is official. I will be serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Armenia as a Community Health Extension. Its kind of hard to believe that after a year and 3 months of applying, calling, waiting, and more waiting, I have finally been invited to serve. I called this past thursday and accepted my posting. So as of right now I leave on May 31 for the adventure of a lifetime. Hopefully it fulfills what I expect.

I will say that part of me is hesitant, leaving home, friends, family, certain people and relationships for 27 months to a country most dont even know where it is on a map. The language barrier wont be easy, but i guess that is why they say the PC is the "toughest job you will ever love." I do feel kind of lucky though, i read that in 2008 11,000 applied to the PC, and they only accepted 4,000. So given the recent "economic downturn," I am sure that application number jumped higher in the year I applied. Hopefully I can overcome the trials and challenges that each volunteer faces, I am sure I will be just fine though, Guess i will find out soon enough. My only problem now is figuring out how and when to quit my current job. I will keep you informed as what my next steps are as I get them. As of right now I know I have to get an H1N1 vaccination, submit forms for a special issued passport, and send my resume and an apsiration statement to my country of service. The work has already started...

No comments:

Post a Comment